Paint finish

Thread: Paint finish

Post Thanks / Like

Paint finish

On another F6B forum there is 5 page thread on the poor quality of the finish...anybody experiencing this..Im very close to ordering one..but I want all the intell I can get...many thanks
    Last edited by TennX; 05-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F6Baggers.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    The clear coat is reportedly soft on the F6B. That is the main reason I bought the red model and not the black, which I really believe is the most attractive. I have had 10 Harleys, most of them were black. They were difficult to keep looking pristine and there is a lot more surface area on the Honda.

I have not had any scratching or maring issues on my red paint in the month I have owned it. However, I have not had to wash it yet, just sprayed water from a mist bottle to clean the bugs and dust off.

I would suspect a good waxing (if you are good enough with wax to do it without making swirl marks on black, I'm not) when the bike is new would help with the soft clear coat. I have accidently kicked the right bag a few times mounting my red bike and have not, as yet, made a lasting mark on it.
    TXTC 2013 F6B Vin#0539

4. Thanks TennX thanked for this post
    Likes TennX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of waxes that are specifically for black--but don't remember the exact names here. I bet someone will though.

Will keep watching to see if anyone runs into problems over the paint jobs.

6. Thanks TennX thanked for this post
    Likes TennX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Turtle Wax Black Box on my 1500 trike.
    Life is too short, eat dessert first.

Post Thanks / Like
    The finish on my black F6B is terrible. It had scratches when it came out of the crate, (so did the red one). I've been to 3 other dealers during a 150 mile ride north of here, and every F6B I saw at dealers, had scratches. I tried Turtle Wax The Black Box, specifically formulated for black painted vehicles, and it did look a little better. But, when I did the final wipe down with the black spray detailer, the scratches were back, and just get worse.

The Honda Rep was at my local dealer on Thursday, 4/04, to look at mine. They (Honda) acknowledge that there's a problem, but haven't come up with a solution, yet. He (Honda Rep)told them (dealership)about some people using a 3m product called Finesse-It II, & getting good results on some bikes. They got some, and tried it on my bike. It made it even worse. When I looked at the micro fiber towel that my salesman was using on it, I saw some red on it. I asked, "Whats up with the red on your towel?" He said he took a couple of wipes on the rear of the red one sitting in the showroom, and that's where it came from. There is a problem with the clearcoat, Honda Rep acknowleged that they are aware of it, there are no parts available, yet, and they don't have a solution for the issue, yet. I am patiently/impatiently awaiting to hear an update from them regarding this issue. Anyone else? I see another member already has their's torn down & out for paint.
    Last edited by Radone62; 04-08-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: misspell

Post Thanks / Like
    anybody experiencing this..Im very close to ordering one..but I want all the intell I can get..
    I've read the posts but I don't get it, I just don't see the problem on my black Deluxe. I didn't post that on the other forum since I don't want to possibly stand in the way of others getting a resolution from mother Honda for the problem they see. I suggest you go to a dealer that has a bike in stock and see for yourself if there is an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped at a local Honda dealer a couple of days ago to pick up something for my GL1500. I didn't see any F6Bs so I asked a salesman if they were expecting any. He said they had a black deluxe in the back but it had some scratches they couldn't get out. Honda gave them some instructions on taking care of it but the dealer wasn't happy with how it turned out and refused to put it back in the showroom until they got it resolved. It looks like Honda, we have a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    For years, our local Honda dealer would do a Tupperware swap if they couldn't locate a specific level Wing in the color you wanted. There were surpluses of yellow Wings that weren't selling and the dealer would take say a Level III yellow Wing and swap the Tupperware from another color Level I or II ....any color except solid black. Their reasoning was that after a swap on a solid black bike, it didn't look like a new bike anymore.

Black painted plastic (soft substrate) is just tough to make it look right and keep it looking right. I had a black ST1300A that would clean up beautifully but in 5 minutes, it would be covered in finger-prints. I have a metallic black Wing and it doesn't show 5% of the finger prints or markings the solid black shows. But it doesn't look as cool as a polished-up solid black.

I tore my black F6B down and put it back together yesterday and it still looks fine. But like the ST, it will show every finger print or any imperfection...the F6B is no worse than any other solid black painted plastic bike I've owned. Its hard to close a saddlebag without touching it.

I'm just going to ride it and not worry about it. I knew what I was getting into when I ordered it. I don't plan on entering any bike shows. If you don't like imperfection in the paint, pay close attention when you are throwing your leg (boot) over the right saddle bag...a lazy foot will ruin your day and your paint job.

Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, & think it is beautiful. Maybe "terrible" is a harsh description, but it is to me because the bike's still new. My black '06 VTX has less scratches. The scratches on my F6B are very fine, but plentiful, & can be seen when the sun catches it just right, or I examine it closely with a fluorescent shop light in my garage. The rear of the bike has it the worst. Most people who've seen the bike just say how beautiful the bike is, and don't even notice or comment on the scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black ST1300....same story. Black CBR1000RR at the end of the line...same story.

Black & Silver Spyder...same story.

By this time next year, it won't seem so bad.

Z

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody Nose

Did my first spot wax job last night with Nu Finish. When I was done my cloth applicator was red. Wasn't only the saddlebag top, but also from the front cowl under the windshield. Always use microfiber for application as well as for removal and light buffing. Never had any issues on any of my bikes or cars before. On my way to dealer this morning to report issue and get it on the record. I've attached pic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint Issue.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	168
    Last edited by contek; 05-11-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The finish scratches easily , can't speak for the red but the black has no clear coat on it which explains why it scratches so easy. Keep it waxed good and you should be fine or get the red and you won't see the scratches as much
    i already had to remove, sand and buff my fuel door. Removing the decal from that no matter how careful is going to leave some scratches.
    2013 goldwing F6B
    2010 honda vfr
    2013 honda cb500x

Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering if the absence of a clear coat is a product of cost cutting or keeping the price down? The clear coat provides extra protection however it also adds extra man hours in production. Also if I an not mistaken the paint is water based.

Post Thanks / Like
    im sure its a cost cutting thing, clear coat is very expensive.
    im not 100% sure but i do believe you are correct about the water base paint.
    2013 goldwing F6B
    2010 honda vfr
    2013 honda cb500x

Post Thanks / Like
    I found the following about Honda auto paint complaints, I would think the same applies to Honda motorcycles. This has been going on for years so I don't expect Honda motorcycle division to offer any relief to the F6B: We have all heard and read about the issues of Honda paint and the ease to which it scratches, chips as well as its thinness.

This issue however, is not unique to Honda. People with many different makes and models are complaining about the same problems.

What many people don't know is that Honda along with much of the automotive industry, uses water based paint technology. Corporate Honda has had a dictum of being environmentally "green" and has instituted a green factory plan.
    Honda Worldwide | Promotion of Green Factories
    Honda Worldwide | Environment

Part of this plan is to reduce VOC emissions at Honda factory plants. VOC's or Volatile Organic Compounds, are being addressed through water based paint technology. VOCs mainly consist of organic solvents contained in paints and adhesives. VOCs remain toxic for a long time, and cause the depletion of the ozone layer in the stratosphere and photochemical smog in the troposphere. Therefore, VOCs are regulated in many countries around the world. The major source of VOC emissions is paint solvents used on automobiles.

OK, so we now know that most automotive companies around the world are using water based paint to reduce VOC emissions. Besides reducing VOC emissions, waterborne coatings also reduce risk of fire, are easier to clean up (creating less hazardous residues) and result in reduced worker exposure to organic vapors.

I found a great article on the internet and am pasting in some of the points relevant to paint issues many have had with their Hondas:
    How to care for water-based automotive paint.

However, water based coatings do have their drawbacks:

First: Water borne paints are softer than acrylic oil based paints. The quick forced dry process using higher curing temperatures causes the paint to dry fast, but not as hard. As a result, these paints scratch more easily.

Second: Water borne paints also have difficulties with increased orange peel and production line runs and sags. The increased orange peel causes a reduction in overall smoothness and gloss.

Third: Water borne paints are also more porous than conventional acrylic finishes. This accelerates a process known as drift. Drift is the process of waxes and sealants soaking into the pores of the finish. Because the finish of a painted surface looks similar to the surface of the moon, peaks and valleys etc., as sealants heat and cool, they soak into the finish. Drift occurs in every known finish, however the water borne paint allows this process to occur much more rapidly, in some cases, even as short as a two week period of time. As drift occurs, the paint is left susceptible to the outdoor elements. This leads the paint to loose gloss and be susceptible to water spots, acid rain, industrial fallout and many other forms of foreign particles.

What is interesting in the article is the proper care of water based paint technology:

1. The article recommends not using automated car washes or sponges when washing as both create scratches, a common problem on many here with 8th Gen Civics. Acrylic or microfiber mitts are recommended when hand washing.

2. When hand or machine polishing, it is recommended using a "diminishing abrasive" such as Meguiar's Body Shop Professional line to remove defects without damaging the delicate finish.

3. Because water based paint is more porous than oil based paint, it is essential to keep the paint "sealed" as well as waxed to prevent damage from environmental pollution. The article recommends that only microfiber towels be used to remove sealant or wax as this will diminish any damage to the paint.

So now we know why so many are having issues with scratching, chipping and etching. Proper washing techniques, drying techniques, sealing the paint, waxing and use of microfiber towels is vital in maintaining the finish on your 8th Gen Civic.